The dimming of the lights, a bucket of popcorn on your lap, and the hush of the theater brings out the nostalgia of seeing a movie on the big screen. This summer, my kids (ages 8 and 9) are creating core childhood memories with what we're dubbing, "the summer of the movies."
The lineup of family-friendly films headed to the box office this season has got us itching to see them all, but one that really stands out with its star-studded cast and uplifting messages of acceptance and bravery is a film that both kids and adults can enjoy: Paws of Fury: The Legend of Hank.
Disclosure: The author received compensation for writing this article. All thoughts and opinions expressed are their own.
My kids and I laughed and laughed as we watched the movie trailer together. It's a classic underdog-turned-top dog story with unrivaled humor from the best comedians in the biz: Michael Cera, Ricky Gervais, Mel Brooks, George Takei, Aasif Mandvi, Gabriel Iglesias, Djimon Hounsou, Michelle Yeoh, Kylie Kuioka, Cathy Shim and Samuel L. Jackson.
Our favorite part of any new movie is getting to know the characters, so we made a fun pull-apart cupcake treat featuring the movie's lead character, Hank.
- Cupcakes (10)
- Peanut Butter or Caramel chips
- Chocolate chips or chocolate bar
- Blue and black gel icing
- Arrange your cupcakes in the general shape of Hank's face. See the photo above for how we arranged ours.
- Mix the peanut butter, caramel, and chocolate chips with the frosting to create different color tones to use for Hank's fur.
- Spread your frosting across the cupcakes using a fork to give the illusion of fur.
- Use gel icing to add details like the eyes, eyebrows, and smile.
- Share your creation with a crowd!
- Free printable activity book: dot-to-dot, maze, memory matching, spot the difference, and coloring pages
- Paws of Fury Mini-Game: match Jimbo's moves to complete the training course
- Mark your calendar! Paws of Fury: The Legend of Hank is coming to theaters on July 15th!